Thursday, June 16, 2011

Packing Light

Packing is my nemesis. It generally stresses me out mightily. I am a homebody, mostly in the sense in that I would rather socialize in my own home than go to yours. I like my stuff where I know exactly where it is and all the control it implies. I do go out and have fun, but I don't like it as much as staying home. So asking me to decide which of my stuff that I will need most while traveling abroad makes me jittery. I can somehow justify bringing most everything I own. "But I will need to bring peanut butter. They don't have it there and I can't go 3 weeks without peanut butter." Yes, I am not kidding. I packed peanut butter. It's a staple. Really.

So when the director of my grad school program suggested we pack light, to make it easier to travel, I appreciated his sage advice. I really do. It would be so nice to maneuver easily through airports and train stations and not be weighed down by stuff that I know intellectually doesn't matter. I wish I could be less emotionally attached to having access to my stuff. Throughout the years, Stan has patiently reminded me that everywhere we have ever traveled has stores and I could buy stuff there that will do. I love to shop too, so he thinks he might actually convince me to lighten my load a bit. It never works. I love meeting new people, trying new foods and seeing amazing sights. But I would still prefer to wash my hair with my shampoo and conditioner. And for this long of a trip, I will need 2 kinds of shampoo and conditioner to choose from because only one option for that long just will not do. God bless the over-priced travel sized toiletries.

It's hopeless really. Asking me to pack light is like asking some alternate world version of myself to take this trip. I am taking this trip. This includes my adventurous spirit for seeking out new experiences as well as my quirky foibles for tenaciously needing my creature comforts. That's why traveling in a motor home makes so much sense to me. It's the best of all words. I can see my retirement future clearly. Now I just need them to build me a chunnel from the US to Europe between now and then. George Carlin would be so proud


1 comment:

  1. See, I'd happily throw it all out and stay somewhere else. I'm drowning in stuff. I'm a hoarder not because I need things now, but because I might need something once SOME DAY. It's a war survivor mentality I was raised with. When the day comes that I do need it, I either don't remember I have it or can't find it, because there's too much other stuff piled on top of it.

    ReplyDelete