Monday, June 27, 2011

Connection

Internet. What a precious, rare gift you are in Cagli. A practically priceless one after so many days without email, Blogger, Facebook, Skype and other random and necessary information you might hope to seek out throughout each day. And yet, for this addict, there has been none to access. Do you miss your children? You bet! Stan? Absolutely!! But what I grieve most is my iPhone and all the access it provides me whenever and wherever I desire it. The world is at my fingertips. But now that I am out in the world, instead of facing it only through a computer screen, wow. What do people do with all this free time? Get to know the locals.

This is Cagli. Such a sleepy, peaceful town. It's very quaint and seriously this gorgeous. I swear. I heard last week it rained most of the week, but this week it's blue skies and sunny days. The days pass slowly. So slowly that you will see someone's outfit and in the morning and then look at them again the afternoon and think, "Gee, so and so is wearing that shirt again," when really it's the same day and the day goes slowly enough that you feel like you live a week every day. It's kind of nice. There always seems to be plenty of time to enjoy whatever it is that makes you happy. Unless of course it's being online. Then you need to find a new passion.

I arrived to Cagli on Saturday after a twisting and turning bus ride up into the Apennine mountains and then down into Cagli. My stomach was queasy despite the Dramamine I took before leaving Firenze. We arrived to the bus station and the landlords were there waiting for us to bring our luggage to our apartments. God bless them. Remember all that stuff I brought for my cousin? Well, I gave it to her. Then promptly filled my bag up with gifts for the family and of course, a few treasures for myself. As Arden would say, "Whoopsie."

The apartment is really charming. I haven't taken pictures which isn't a problem because I haven't loaded the million or so photos that I have taken so far anyway. That's tonight. I swear. After we head to the piazza. The piazza is where it all happens here. It's the center of town and were all the locals come every morning and every evening to share life with each other. I wondered if the locals like when all these Americans invade their space, thinking it must bother them even a little bit. We change everything, if only for a brief time. But after speaking with a few locals, it seems they think our stay here is their small taste of what it is like to be a tourist town. They enjoy the revitalization of the piazza. All the cute American girls bring out the curious Italian boys. We spend money which helps everyone. But most of all, they like to watch the world come to them instead of leaving what they think is the most perfect place in the world.

Best of all, I finally get to use my Italian. I don't know enough. All the locals seemed tickled that I can have basic conversations with them, but even they are quick to say I only know a little. No kidding! But I understand more than I thought I would and I can seem to express myself well enough to get what I want when I need it. Classes started yesterday and we have 3 assignments all due in a few days, which will force us to interact with the locals even more. I am very pleased to have so much opportunity to use what I spent all that time learning.

If I can get my pictures loaded and get online tomorrow, I would like to post a few pictures. We shall see. If this post feels unfinished, it's because I have to go Skype with the kids before it's time to go to the piazza to work more on my assignments. So much connection, so much time...that is until the Internet gets involved. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment